Home & School Council
One way that families participate in The New School of San Francisco community is by joining the Home & School Council. The Home & School Council is our collaborative body of parents, staff, and Heads of School. The Council focuses on advancing family involvement and services, school improvement, recruitment, community outreach, extracurricular programing, documentation, and communication.
New School of SF and its Home & School Council promotes family and community member participation in the school by providing a diverse set of opportunities to volunteer time and skills.
Our goal is to foster participation, which we recognize takes different forms for different families. We also recognize that volunteering works best when educators, families and students are clear about their roles, responsibilities, and needs.
We have a variety of events throughout the school year -- from our Makers Halloween to trips to the Exploratorium -- that require volunteers. Other examples of ways in which our families are involved in the school include:
- Lunch: various daily needs from distribution to sitting with students
- Park: daily need for safety escorts and support
- Afterschool: various daily positions
- Leading and/or participating in school committees
- Supporting field trips and/or day excursions
- Planning and participating in school-wide events or fundraisers
- Sharing expertise and passions with students
- Attending parent/guardian workshops hosted by the school