How to Use Taproot
If you're joining Taproot for the first time and didn't receive an invite, you must go to this specially created New School Taproot link. After clicking on this link, create your account with a user name and password. You'll be asked to provide your zip code. Once you're in "Taproot Academy," go to "my profile" and click on "add New School." From there, you can add New School SF as your school. You will then be approved via the school administrator.
Also, email email@example.com to ensure you're invited to your associated groups.
Please note that this is not a moderated newsfeed. Please use your general communication and social media etiquette instincts to keep your posts brief and related to our school community (i.e., no advertising). Keep in mind that many members are relying on Google Translate to translate the content, so keeping language simple and easily translatable is key.
Provide feedback. This product is a work in progress! We have a unique opportunity to help shape and build this tool. If you are having any issues, spot bugs, have suggestions for features, please feel free to email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org . There's also a feedback tab in the tool.
Let's Get Started!
Download the Taproot Mobile App
iOS Users: Download the Taproot mobile app from the iTunes AppStore by clicking image below.
Android Users: You'll need to create a bookmark. Open your Android browser and go to the page that you want to bookmark. Tap "Menu" and wait for the menu to appear from the bottom of the screen. Select "AddBookmark." Enter information about the website so that you'll remember it.
How to Log In
Check out this video on how to log in.
Creating a Profile
Click on your name at the top right-hand menu bar and select "My Profile." If you don't register and set up a profile, you'll still receive notifications, but you won't be able to post.
- Please use your real full name and add your photo. This platform is secure and is our community's way of identifying and getting to know each other. If you sign up with your Facebook account, your Facebook profile pic is automatically imported. If you don't accept and create a profile, you will not be able to post, but you'll receive notifications and see the newsfeed.
- Add your child and partner's names. This is particularly important in your class group and helps others associate family members.
- Join every group that applies to you and your child. You will be able to select New School SF (the entire community), as well as your child's grade and their class.
Pick Your Preferred Language
Under "Settings," you'll also see the option to change the language (see image above, bottom right). All email notifications, posts, responses and content will then be automatically translated into your preferred language.
You can change the frequency of email notifications. See this brief video that shows how to access it in from settings (upper right corner on web, upper left menu on mobile).
Check out this video on how to change the frequency of your notifications. These are your options:
- High -Send everything right away- this includes announcements, posts, events, comments on posts, etc.
- Normal - Send New Posts and Daily Digest
- Low- Send urgent posts (or school announcements) and a Daily Digest
- Mute - No notifications - we don't recommend this setting as you will not receive any email notifications.
Adjust your mobile phone settings to receive Taproot notifications.
If you have the mobile app, you can receive push notifications. You can control this by going to SETTINGS/NOTIFICATIONS and then select TAPROOT. If you select ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS, you'll get important announcements immediately pushed to your phone.
Filter Your Post View
When on Taproot, you have the option of filtering what posts you'd like to view by group. To do this: Go to MY COMMUNITY on the left-hand menu bar. Click on the group you want to view (i.e., 1ST GRADE). Once in that group, you'll see a menu reading "ADULTS KIDS POSTS PHOTOS." The menu defaults to POST view where you’ll see all posts from teachers and staff related to your child's grade or class. You can also change that view by clicking other options: ADULTS, KIDS, or PHOTOS. On the mobile app, touch the PEOPLE icon and then the GROUP.